.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

* BFU Weekly Journal *
documenting creation of a
Visionaries Learning Center

Bastiat Free University offers internationally accessible and actionable student-directed learning to visionaries and entrepreneurs.
Your BFU resources are now available without cost.

Start Today
Rediscover the pleasures found in self directed learning.

BFUniv, BFU college, self-directed e-learning, Bastiat Free University


Saturday, October 13, 2007

Life vs School - Life vs Job

You travel through school just to get to the next school level, you go through college to get a good job, you dedicate yourself to a job to get advancement, you work for decades to reach a retirement that may allow you to live your own life.

Your starting point was the freedom of childhood where you spent all your time enraptured with the joy of discovery. A few falls and bruises resulted - but you were encouraged to try again. Eventually you succeed in many natural and enjoyable endeavors.

Then you start school. To try and fail is now horrible, to learn but not memorize is unforgivable, the goal has become to impress and conform. There are targets, but you have not chosen them. You no longer discover exciting knowledge and skills, you now learn how to cram and use stories to survive within a bureaucracy.

You graduate and use those same bureaucratic skills; make work, segmented knowledge and labor, last minute efforts, avoidance of trial and error learning, hyperbole instead of reality. By the time you retire this is how you will believe the world is supposed to operate and you will encourage others to pay a similar price for success.

All of the above after your too short childhood is based on a lie. "School was the unhappiest time of my life and the worst trick it ever played on me was to pretend that it was the world in miniature. For it hindered me from discovering how lovely and delightful and kind the world can be, and how much of it is intelligible." - E. M. Forster

Since your directions were wrong, you will end up in the wrong location. You were not born to be an employee. You will not find meaning in your life by following fictions.


  • If bears do not add fat in the fall, can they cram for hibernation?

  • Can beavers repetitiously chew at the same tree and still build their dam?

  • Can an antelope use excuses about his troubled fawn-hood to escape the lions jaws?

The real world is nothing like school, it is also nothing like working in the bureaucracies that follow school. The real world is much more like the freedom and responsibility you once experienced as a child.

You learned to walk by falling down, you learned to fall backwards because forwards hurt more. You learned to speak by first making sounds that others did not understand. You learned to share by example and personal instruction (and maybe a swat where you had learned to fall).

When disaster strikes it is too late to cram for survival skills. When opportunity knocks it is too late to memorize preparation tools. When life beckons it is too late to learn its language.

It turns out that childish ways are the most mature.

Those rules based institutions treated us as perpetually ignorant children, and punished us if we did not fit their mold. You were molded by obsolete machines to fit a past era. Those running educational machines continue to extrude cogs that no longer fit even the faltering industrial age.


Find your own path, perhaps start your own business, return to the wisdom and flexibility you had before life's real challenges were stolen from you.

Discover life instead of just finding another job.


.

Labels: , , , ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button
| 6:32 PM - link to the above post <- email this journal entry

12 Comments:

Blogger piscesgrrl said...

Ok, this is quite serendipitous! I did a google search for 'elevator speech' and your site (blog?) was one that came up. I was intrigued, but didn't link to it only because I didn't have the time at that moment to explore it and be sure I wasn't linking to something I disagreed with. And there you are in my comments section! Whoa.

So, out of curiosity, how did you find my blog today?

Thanks for your comment! I'm now off to familiarize myself with your blog - I'm always eager to read about those further down the path!

3:31 PM  
Blogger BFuniv said...

Thank you for commenting.

I noticed your hit for "elevator speech, unschool" and was fascinated. I found the hit on either 1000 bees or on Hittail.

http://103bees.com/

http://mylongtail.com/

I replicated the search and found many nice sites; as I recall your Wistful Wanderlust was the only blog where I felt compelled to comment. Your post was very well written.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Ethan Lee Vita said...

I like this post because it has a lot of truth to it. Anyway, it is good to see another fan of Bastiat(and I assume free markets?).

9:45 AM  
Blogger BFuniv said...

Ethan,

Thanks for the comment. Bastiat rocks. As to my stance on free markets check here. Best to you.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Ethan Lee Vita said...

Truly a beautiful thing to see. What is your opinion on individualism, libertarianism, two-level utilitarianism, and Ron Paul?

10:12 AM  
Blogger BFuniv said...

Ron Paul is the only politician in a major party I would consider. Overall I think Americans would be best served by voting third party; any third party. Myself -- I will vote Constitution party or Libertarian party.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Ethan Lee Vita said...

I agree with you on Ron Paul. I'm not too sure about 3rd party as of yet though - whether it would be better to vote 3rd party or try to reform a party. As far as voting goes, I'm also undecided. My first election so I'm not sure if I should vote on principle only (3rd party) or principle with a chance of winning(2 parties/lesser of two evils). I believe it was on lewrockwell.com that someone said you don't get a prize for voting for the winner.

P.S. I think you would find parts of my blog interesting if you check it out. Unfortunately, I've had limited internet so not enough time to post daily or weekly. Only enough time to keep reading material at pace.

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've read Bastiat your blog and found it quite interesting. I did not however find a place where my comments would add to your discussions. Thanks for a good read.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Ethan Lee Vita said...

Thank you, hopefully I can continue to provide a good read.

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree with you on compulsory schools. They weren't made for education; they were made for government indoctrination.

I'd rather have Ron Paul as president over any other, but voting is pretty much pointless. It's only worth it if you're voting at a local/community level or if you can sneak in a thousand votes.

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Skyler,

As someone once said - "If voting were effective it would be illegal." But I think of voting for a third party as a protest while not voting is submission.

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"Free" University or Church defined



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.